Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Oh, to be a cybernerd now that spring is here!

Have you ever had one of those panicked moments when you're sure every piece of data you've stored for the past five years has just been swallowed by the interdimensional vortex? Uh, okay, you who work with Microsoft can put your hands down, now. Sorry I asked.

I had me a really good scare, this morning. I've spent far too much time trying to compose my column for the week -- compiling statistics I will never need, collecting links I will never post, and actually doing some serious thinking and half-hindquartered writing, and suddenly Mom's computer freezes. Now, this is a G-4, a Macintoshius Quartius Egregius. Not exactly state-of-the-art, but they're not supposed to do idiosyncratic things, especially while their owner and chief programmer is away on another vacation. Apparently, this one did not get the memo.

I rebooted, as per Mom's "if it does something really strange, that's your best bet" instructions. It took nine minutes, and didn't bring up anything I recognized when it finally decided to reawaken.

Oh, God, I've broken Mommy's expensive toy, and now I'll be grounded for life... plus I won't get my column sent in to the new editor this week, I said queasily.

I gave a quiet agnostic's prayer, "If there is anybody up there listening, could you please send somebody to undo whatever the heck I've done? And if there's nobody listening, please disregard this message." I rebooted again.

Apparently, there is a God of Computers, and He's a kind and loving one, today.

But I should really start reading those big, fat instructional books Mom showed me, just in case He gets annoyed with me again. It never hurts to read a bible or two.

No comments: