Monday, October 08, 2007

Reminder: OFTA (Old Friends Talk Arts) on Wednesday morning

I know it's a couple of days ahead of time, but I'd rather be early than late in posting a reminder that Henry Joe will be the featured speaker for this Wednesday's (10 Oct. 2007) 10:00 a.m. meeting. He is expected to discuss his exploration of Early American salt-glazed pottery.

As is mentioned by Jim DeYoung in his post at Stirring the Pudding, Henry Joe is a Professor Emeritus of Art at Knox College -- the rival to my own alma mater, the college at the heart of this community of Monmouth, IL. But what Jim doesn't say is that Henry and his lovely and talented wife Pat are long-time residents of Monmouth, and have many deep ties of friendship here.

This is why I can't give an unbiased report of Henry and his lectures -- Pat is one of my two closest friends (bestest in the whole wide world) , and her family is rather much an extension of mine. But I can tell you that, every time our families sit down for a relaxing evening of conversation and companionship, I come away feeling as though I've been subject to exceptional enlightenment. If you come to the OFTA meeting, be prepared: Henry speaks softly and carries a big idea (or two or three or more).

I hope to see you there.

No comments: