Saturday, August 12, 2006

What up wit' Israel, Hizballah, & Kofi?

I've been reading the perspectives of the guys at Power Line and Captain Ed, as well as those of Rick Moran and Allahpundit on the cease-fire stuff in Lebanon. I really have doubts that this will make any difference in the long run, because, while Nasrallah gains immediate credibility via the UN, in the long haul, I so hugely doubt he will honor a single second of a cease-fire, so the Israeli agreement will be moot.

In all probability, we will see a repeat of Carter's "peace" in the Mideast.

Hizballah is likely to do exactly what Hamas did in the south, when Israel withdrew: declare a victory and try to move farther in with bigger guns. The Lebanese army will be helpless to find the strength or the inclination to stop them. The justification will remain for Israel to stomp the hell out of Hizballah, and the UN troops will just sit in the middle of it all and get their heads or asses blown off (with the UN, the parts are interchangeable, after all). All in all, what we're likely to see as a result of this "cease-fire agreement" is escalation.

Thanks to the UN.

On the plus side, if Hizballah does what I expect it will do, it will instantly lose what credibility Kofi and our administration handed it, simply by showing itself once again as a terrorist organization. Not that I expect the rest of the UN to recognize it... but maybe at that moment, some of the MSM could finally wake up & understand the dangerous fiction they've been selling.

It could happen.

Then again, I sometimes believe I could win the lottery.


Update: I see that, as I followed a track similar to Captain Ed regarding Nasrallah's likely actions, so did Dafydd ab Hugh. But I note that, so far, nobody has picked up on the international/MSM opinion part. Of course, with Dafydd's picture of Israel's future, I seriously doubt there will be any real length of time when Jews won't be the villains.

I hate it when history repeats itself.

No comments: