Friday, May 12, 2006

Knox College Study shows guns are butch

A recent Knox College Study links guns and hormones in men. It seems that guys who handle guns get a boost of Testosterone they don't get from handling the bore board game "Mousetrap".

Ooooh. I'm impressed.

I now have a question or two for the perfesser & his team: will my testosterone go through the roof if I pick up a gun? If so, should I tell farmboy about it before our next goin'-out-into-the-woods-with-shotguns date? And, what about compound bows and arrows? What about big cutting things, like power tools or butcher knives? Does my handling a chain saw, a riding mower or a rototiller make me less girly? If I want to catch a manly man, must I abandon my skills in electrical repair? Do I really want to catch a manly man, if he doesn't own a gun? And, what about Naomi? oh, sorry.

But, seriously, why didn't this study include any data on women? Are we dames broads, chicks, grrlzz, womyn, et al so far above being influenced by our hormones that they need not study us? Skkknnnnrkkkkk guffaw Did they assume we would react no differently, or not at all? Or was it plain, out-and-out sexist politics disguised as science?

Jonah Goldberg, at Townhall.com has some really fine observations, as well. (HT: Instapundit)

disclaimer: I have some personal interest in what happens at Knox. I am an alumna from rival Monmouth College, and my father is a retired MC physics prof. I also have several close friends who are Knox alums, and one very close friend whose husband is retired from Knox faculty.

No comments: