Monday, January 31, 2022

Big Messages Deserve Giant Postcards

Big Messages Deserve Giant Postcards

So do small things.

All these cards are from my early years, and collected from our family journeys, rather than from auctions or antique stores – all those ill-gotten gains pale before the realization that we, as a family, did some serious trekking and amassing of cards, back in the day.

As always, please share if you like what you see; click any image to embiggen.


Brookgreen Gardens, Georgetown County SC

This is not far from where Grandma used to live, I recall several visits here, as well as to Forts Sumter and Moultrie.


Stegosaurus, from American Museum of Natural History, NYC

I think this might have been one of those trips the parents took from Long Island into the city without the kids, although I may have simply forgotten the entire affair. That few seasons we spent there were a bit of a blur, to me… except for the cool ship-shape birthday cake Mom made for me. And the school bus stop. One never forgets a school bus stop and its graffiti.


From Copper Falls, WI: a bit of current wildlife…
…and what I had to say about it. Too bad the neighbors never got this card.



We loaded up the van & camped our way around the western US, one summer. Most of the rest of these cards are from that trip. We probably saw more water than scenery, though. The rains were copious – one might say the clouds were more than generous to us and our tent. 

More nature, this time from Colorado

Those chipmunks got everybody all excited, no matter where one traveled. But we also had the occasional other critter come to visit – such as the time a family of skunks strolled into the tent where my siblings & I were not quite sleeping. 

Fortunately, not even the dog stirred a millimeter until they were long out and gone away. Still, they left a BIG impression on all of us for a while.

Fixed Exhibit (Dinorama) at Dinosaur Nat'l Monument, UT 

Dinosaurs are cool. 

Green River at the Gates of Lodore,
Dinosaur Nat'l Monument, CO/UT

Split Mountain, Dinosaur Nat'l Monument 


Mt. Ypsilon fron Trail Ridge Road, Rocky Mtn Nat'l Park, CO



Rocky Mtn Nat'l Park



Balanced & Steamboat Rocks, Garden of the Gods, CO




Painting at Custer Battlefield National Monument, Little Big Horn, MT

I didn't like being called "Becky" even then.





USS North Carolina


I'm told normal families go to the beaches, when they visit anywhere near NC's Outer Banks, and seek out amusement parks and the like at other parts of the country. We do battleships and battlefields and boneyards. I used to complain bitterly about that. Now, I would go back to any of these places, without a second thought. Not that I would refuse to take a day at the shore, but one strip of sand and salt water is much like the next. I want to see what's behind the dunes.

And pick up a postcard or two, along the way.

No comments: