Thursday, August 27, 2009

Cranky Large Medium reading, 27 August

Go away.

Why won't you get gone? How come you are still here? Did somebody drop you on your head, just now, and you're too disoriented to find your way down a hill? Are you just insane? Why won't you go, when somebody asks you so politely? Oh, I see, you came here for something, and you won't up and go until I up and give it to you. And that something would have to be of great value, yes? Well, my non-friend, I have nothing of value, except myself, and I surrender that to nobody, these days, for the greater good. I'm sure even you can understand that. So, now that we've established there's nothing here for you, you will go, right? Oh, I see. You want a reading. Well, heck, that's simple enough. And, if I give you one, you will leave, right? Let me get right to it, then. Here you are:
You are a bookworm, too clever by half, and a sarcastic so-and-so, making your friends cringe or consider pulling their own heads off rather than face you, some days. You are nicer to your enemies. You will choose a push-over for a mate.
Are you happy, now? Of course not. I don't know why you would be, being you. Still, you might consider the positive part of this arrangement -- you're still alive. That puts you miles ahead of these people, all of whom, on this date in history, found the final quiet: Chokei, Charles Evans Hughes, W. E. B. Du Bois, Haile Selassie, Louis Mountbatten, ... Emil Christian Hansen, Herman Potočnik Noordung, Ernest Lawrence, Garrett Morgan, Michael Dertouzos, ... Saint Caesarius of Arles, Pope Eugene II, Pope Sixtus V, ... James Thomson, Thomas Chandler Haliburton, Ivy Compton-Burnett, ... Titian, Francisco Zurbarán, Charles-Édouard Jeanneret-Gris aka Le Corbusier, ... Josquin Des Prez, Claude Goudimel, Brian Epstein, ... Hrishikesh Mukherjee, Greg Morris, ... Gracie Allen, ... Willie Crawford, ... William Chapman Ralston, Francis Marion Smith, Bennett Cerf, Margaret Bourke-White, Douglas Kenney, Scott "La Rock" Sterling,
and Stevie Ray Vaughan.

No pride, no joy, no sweet little loverboy. Just an exit gate.
Happy birthday, anyway.

No comments: