Wednesday, February 06, 2008

So, as a woman, how did you vote?

I was waiting all day for some exit-type pollster to ask me that question. Not that I really expected it -- after all, it's the Democratic Party who are known for identity politics, and I had taken a Republican ballot. I simply had my hopes that somebody would suddenly see the difference in the way the news media and the many polling agencies seemed to be treating the parties, and try to balance things.

The question formed slowly in my mind, during the wee hours, as the ABC news team kept gabbing away about how white women were voting for Hillary, men all colors voted for Barack, and black women, by majority, voted Obama, as well. They had it broken down into teensy segments, I thought. And, yet, when they mentioned the Republican Party, the votes were from conservative and moderate blocs. Nary a race nor a sex was mentioned. So, what happened to soccer moms? What happened to upper-middle-class black conservatives? There was no sorting by shade of skin or shape of genitalia -- it was all about ideology. Isn't that what politics should be about?

It's a pity one large segment of the population -- the "experts" -- can't seem to overcome their petty obsessions and learn to pay attention to something other than the superficial differences between persons.

No comments: