Saturday, December 01, 2007

If a train crashes...

If an Amtrak train crashes into a freight train at the same time somebody is holding Hillary's NH Campaign HQ hostage, does it make a headline?

The news of the crash didn't even cause WGN to interrupt its rerun of some 1980s sitcom. Maybe it's just because nobody died... fortunately, the worst injuries required, according to the Sun-Times, only overnight hospitalization, then release. It just wasn't big enough news to interrupt that all-important laugh track at the time.

I suppose WGN must have covered it during the regular news hour, later in the evening. They've mentioned it on their website, after all (with video of the broadcast, I gather, although, with slow internet connex, I can't download, so I can't be sure). Probably all the Chgo tv stations opened their local news broadcasts with it -- I don't know, since I'm outside of their broadcast zone -- and then followed with the hostage thing. The news of the crash only made the crawl on Fox News, while Mom was watching. All their cameras were on the waiting-to-happen scene in New Hampshire. (O'course, I might have missed it on the networks, since I was busy last night with friends, all the way through prime time. Did it get respectable coverage? So far, not much mention comes up in the blogosphere. Politics. P'tui.)

The investigation is under way -- my brother-in-law is already on the scene, with others from the NTSB, sifting and weighing evidence.

For those who hadn't heard about the accident before now, keep the injured passengers and crew in your thoughts/prayers.

No comments: