Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Fortune Teller says

I bought a little book (surprise!) at auction, not too long ago. This little book is approximately the same size as the pocket New Testaments we used to receive when we were young and churches were permitted to give things to students... And that little New Testament came in handy a few times when I needed to settle an argument with a solid connection to the side of the head.

But I digress.

I bought a book. It was published in 1938, and is called either FORTUNE TELLING BIRTHDAY BOOK or THE GOOD FORTUNE BIRTHDAY BOOK (and, aside from there being a conflict over the actual title, it's all in caps on the title page, too, so why mess with their system? I'm going with the flow).

The little book amused me, so I decided, when I remember to do so, I will try to post the entries from the book, for those who were born on those specific dates.

Today's fortune reads as follows:
You are methodical, thorough, and a good worker. You are generally quiet and reserved, possess a subtle and amusing sense of humor. When aroused, your temper is strong but short lived. You make your home pleasant and attractive and are demonstrative in your love.
You share your birthday with a local (Blandinsville, IL) girl named Norma. Be proud, and know that I envy your pleasant and attractive home.

Oddly, my own fortune says, among other things, "You are an ardent reader...." Couldn't be farther from the truth, could it? ;-)

No comments: