Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Isaiah Washington labeled "lightning rod"

TV critic David Elfman says critics are "grumbling."

They've got their Underoos in an uproar because Isaiah Washington has not been drummed out of the acting biz, but, instead, has been given a pivotal part in the upcoming action series resurrection of "Bionic Woman." It was even suggested that he ought to be forced to act in a gay kiss scene, in order to prove something (I'm not sure what, though).

Elfman seems to think that, because an actor says something stupid and insensitive, it's a rare enough occurrence that the actor should permanently lose his SAG card.

Ummm.

Didn't Washington get sent to some sort of brainwashing camp rehab program? Wasn't the point to "teach him sensitivity"? So, apparently, they're now of the belief that mind-wiping doesn't work, and therefore Washington -- and anybody else who hurts poor widdle gay feewings needs to remain a pariah for all eternity. He's never going to be as sensitive as they are!

To those "grumbling" critics I have one simple thing to say:

GROW THE HELL UP!

Just because somebody says something you don't agree with, just because you feel insulted by a word or a turn of phrase he uses does not give you the right to destroy his career and/or his life. If the guy can do his job, get over the hurt feelings and either let him do his job and learn to respect his work, or just hold your widdle baby grudge for the rest of your life and see who's really doing the damage in your life.

And, before anybody comes a rockin' my boat saying I have no clue what it's like to be picked on... I'm a crazy artist cat-lady who weighs twice what the doctors say I ought (if you heard it said of Michael Moore's dietary habits, I've heard it said of mine). I moved to a small town after I had started school, spoke with a strange accent (ooh -- outsider!). I could list a million more ways in which I know what it's like to have my feelings crushed by somebody, but why bother?

Everybody suffers from hurt feelings once in a while -- some more than others. It's the adults who get over themselves, who don't take it out on others, who consider the source and move on. Sometimes, it's called "forgiveness." More often, it's just shrugging off stupidity and getting on with the process of living.

Not that I think being a television critic in this day and age can be much of a life... still, you work with what you have, don't you?

No comments: