Saturday, May 12, 2007

Not-so-gratuitous Postcard: Happy Mother's Day

M is for the million things she gave me....
Postcard: Moon, Mother, Daughter

Yes, it's a day invented by a greeting card company to improve sales. Who cares? It's a good day to honor the woman who put up with your idiocies for all those years (and, if that's not coming from your female biological progenitor, find a woman who has given you the support which got you to this point, and give her flowers and candy, or a really neat finger-painting to go on the refrigerator, or whatever you think she'll like best from you).

In accordance with my mother's wishes, I will not get all sappy and sentimental over this holiday or our relationship. I will simply repeat what I've said over the years, to friends who have worried about becoming their mothers:

1. There are fates much more terrible.

2. If only I could be so lucky.

3. I'll share mine with you. She's a really good one to copy.

4. Come have some tea with us.


That last one is her advice. You'll feel better about yourself after a few hours in her company.

Happy Moth-er's Day, Bat!

No comments: