Thursday, April 05, 2007

Dammit, Jim! I'm a cat-owner, not a dog-biscuit chef!

Mom just informed me that the brand of dog biscuits she buys for Clyde is now on the recall list, so I've been researching various recipes for treats, so the poor wee bairn won't do without, in these hard times. I came across one that looks likely to persuade Clyde he's not suffering -- Lucky's Happy Bones, from Lucky's Pet Resort and Day Spa:
2 tablespoons corn oil
1/2 cup natural-style peanut butter
1 cup water
1 cup whole wheat flour


1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Combine oil, peanut butter and water.
3. Add flour, one cup at a time and then knead into firm dough.
4. Roll dough to 1/4" thickness and cut with cookie cutter.
5. Place on ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes.

I'm offering this up to Mom, since it's her kitchen and her doggie. I've been told by several people that this is canine crack, so we should be careful how much we give him... we shall see.

A lot of the other recipes I came across called for garlic powder or soup bouillon, neither of which can I imagine is good for a pet -- lily family substances like onion and garlic can cause hemolytic anemia in dogs and cats, and nobody (not dog nor cat nor human) needs all the sodium in dehydrated bouillon. Nevertheless, for those who are concerned, these days, over the increasing number of pet food and pet product recalls, there are several very useful sites for recipes, so you can know precisely what is going into those precious tummies.

So, there, Mommy. I can do nice things for the dog. But the cats still get preferential treatment from me. Yeah, I'm prejudiced. So sue me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice but you can visit this blog
cat’s food recipes
it is very nice blog that gives you cat recipes
that are not affordable in any other site
it is really amazing, they put new recipes everyday.

leucanthemum b said...

Thanks! I can always use more kitty-yums recipes.