Monday, October 02, 2006

Support Dunkin Donuts and Applebees

Good advice and solid reasoning from Michelle Malkin, on why we should support two solidly American businesses.

I used to drink Dunkin Donuts coffee every morning until the allergy-to-coffee-and-tea thing came up. It was a rule I set for myself, and I did not break it lightly.

First, even though the Dunkin Donuts was right next door to a Starbucks, and right down the street from two other high end coffee shops, for all their fancy labels and silly names for flavors and blends, they didn't taste as coffee-like as Dunkin Donuts' lovely dark roast.

Second, Dunkin Donuts had some truly fine double-chocolate doughnuts, and they also had unglazed, unsugared, nekkid raised yeast doughnuts, if you asked for them. I likes my doughnuts like I likes my men, nicely raised (in both ways) and not too sweet.

Third, I went to the Dunkin Donuts at lunch because the woman who managed that particular franchise used to also bring samosas, and secretly offer them as a bonus menu item to her regular lunch customers. She was a lovely lady, who had come to America from India legally.

I would continue to do business with her and the others in the franchise, but I moved to a town where there is no Dunkin Donuts, so I suffer.

As for Applebee's... there's one within a half-hour drive of my house. I think I'll negotiate with my "supper club" (my friends with whom I sup, when I sup away from home) (Sup, foo?) to make that extra few miles' journey, if only for the sake of having a drink in the place of a patriotic, law-abiding business establishment.

Three cheers for Applebee's! Three more for the Donut gurus!


And, after being sick all afternoon, now I'm all hungry. I need a Munchkin, dammit. Anybody willing to FedEx me a couple?


'Cause, you know... sugar is so good for headaches...

2 comments:

EclectEcon said...

I used to send my son pizza, now and then, through the US Postal service. Would you like some, too?

leucanthemum b said...

That's really thoughtful of you, but pizza I can get... in fact, Mom has the recipe for Uno's best, and she often makes it.
But nobody around here makes those chocolate munchkins the way the "time to make the doughnuts" guy does.