Friday, September 15, 2006

Gratuitous postcard: liquid assets

Glance around these halls,Postcard: Champagne: Galerie. & maybe find yourself a bottle of a little something to make life a little warmer...
Postcard: Champagne (*hic*)

I was invited by my good friend to take a trip up to Davenport, IA, tomorrow, to attend their Brew-Ha-Ha. I'm normally all gung-ho for that -- the event is host to a number of brew clubs and microbrews, all of whom bring plenty of samples, and I do enjoy getting acquainted with a good brew, now and then.

Unfortunately, when I asked, "Who's driving?" the answer was a long silence. Davenport is an hour away from here, much of that on a twisty country road. Unless I know there's a reliable designated driver, or unless somebody has booked a couple of hotel rooms across the street from LeClaire Park, I don't go near the Brew-Ha-Ha. This will be the second year in a row I will have missed the event, dang it. But I will not risk my life, and I won't support or condone risking others' lives by having a driver who has been drinking.

For those of you who are planning to spend the weekend in that same old reckless manner, I raise my bottle of Elmwood Lawnmower Ale to you, and hope you do so with care. Get a sober designated driver, call a cab, or drink within walking distance of home.

On a positive note, according to a group of Scottish scientists, Geniuses are "less prone to hangovers", mostly because they tend to pay attention to the advice given, to drink in moderation. You'll be able to call me a genius on Sunday. Won't you join me at the next Mensa meeting? I hear they're more fun than the twelve-step meetings (by a hair).

No comments: