Thursday, April 13, 2006

QCA down in the mumps

Now that the news has gone from strictly Quad Cities news media to the Chicago Sun-Times, I guess it's official. We have a growing problem with the mumps.

Still, I don't know if I'd necessarily call this an epidemic. According to the offical releases, there have been just over 500 cases in Iowa and just under 50 reported cases over her in our neck of the IL woods. Does a cluster of just under .001% of the population count as "epidemic proportions"? Or is it just an outbreak?

Afterthought: I had the mumps
Postcard: Chipmunk, 1960s
Me with mumps, 1965, or some other chipmunk on a postcard

when I was in grade school. It didn't feel that different from a nasty case of tonsillitis, without the sore throat. I also had chicken pox, measles, and a really bad case of whines, which lasted about thirty-two years.

No comments: