Monday, March 06, 2006

Jamestown Expo 1907

Next year marks another centenary observation of the settlement of Jamestown, Virginia, in 1607 (the first successful English colony in the New World).

I had considered taking a trip out to visit my sisters in the D.C. area, sometime during the anniversary season, and convincing them to drive down for the celebrations (I may still know a few people who work in the historic triangle), but I'm a bit phobic about large crowds, so I will wait until I know how big a deal they're going to make out around the archaeological digs, and such.

Meanwhile, I'll show off this postcard I bought yesterday at auction. There's a little smutz on the front of it, but otherwise, it's in beautiful condition, with no crinkles, creases, or crazed ink. I'm trying to decide whether or not to give it to Mom, since she has as much interest in that particular region and time as I have (okay, more).

Please, note: the text printed in the box where one places the stamp refers to "United States and Island possessions, Cuba, Canada, and Mexico", but also mentions an extra charge "For Foreign." Also note: the celebration of 300 year anniversary of Jamestown, VA, was not in VA but in NY, and the postcard was made not in either, but in Germany.

And they complain about globalization, today! Feh.

No comments: