Friday, December 02, 2005

Art imitates life: Dead vote Democrat in tv film

"This is a horror story because most of the characters are Republicans," director Joe Dante announced before the November 13 world premiere of his latest movie, Homecoming, at the Turin Film Festival. Republicans, as it happens, will be the ones who find Homecoming's agitprop premise scariest: In an election year, dead veterans of the current conflict crawl out of their graves and stagger single-mindedly to voting booths so they can eject the president who sent them to fight a war sold on "horseshit and elbow grease."


In his film review (I got to via lgf), Dennis Lim of the Village Voice shows how lame-brained he is. "The dizzying high point of Showtime's new Masters of Horror series," he calls this piece of tripe. "Dizzying hight point"? I have an anthill in my basement wall that's higher than this concept. Scary agitprop? How about "not enough substance to fertilize my potted pansy"? If some Republicans are scared by the idea of this film, then they're RINO wussies, anyway, and would have been askeer'd of my three-year-old neighbor in his Halloween clown outfit. I can't make any claims about the actual film quality, though, since I haven't seen it, and I'm not likely to do so. Showtime doesn't come free to my house, & Mom won't pay for it at hers (she says their movie selection stinks. I'll take her word for it. Mom knows a lot).

As to "horseshit and elbow grease"... well, how about this?

Lim does, however, get one fact straight, about which party is the hate-filled one:
"...Dante's film uncorks the rage that despondent progressives promptly suppressed after last year's election".


As an aside -- I wish I could take credit for being the first to note the connection between this film and actual history (as noted in my headline), but the words about the dead voting Democrat came first from a commenter at lgf.

No comments: