Saturday, November 19, 2005

US author lauds suicide bombers

Via little green footballs, word is out that The Kurt Vonnegut has a mad passion for suicide bombers.

Vonnegut, as quoted in the Weekend Australian,
suggested suicide bombers must feel an "amazing high". He said: "You would know death is going to be painless, so the anticipation - it must be an amazing high."


Well, he hasn't written a book worth reading cover-to-cover since... um...
okay, so the last book I completed by him was Deadeye Dick, and I was sorry I bothered. I'm told that Timequake was at least entertaining, but, as somebody who has a little respect for historical accuracy (especially as it applies to human motivations), I couldn't get past page sixty or so. So much of what he has written over the past 25 years or so has had the flavor of bitter old Luddite anthropologist about it.

So, I suppose whatever he says about the prez, about American culture, corporate motives, and suicide bombers, I should simply consider the source.

No comments: