Saturday, October 22, 2005

Monmouth College Homecoming arrives

I didn't attend last night's festivities on campus -- because, for one, I didn't have the coherence to have planned for it, and for two, my best friends had asked me to go out with them to goof off, and for three, I knew there would be crowds and fireworks (about neither of which am I crazy).

This morning, however, I was out for the part of Homecoming weekend I've attended since before I was an alumna: the parade.


As you can see, it was a perfect morning for a homecoming parade. The sky was crisp and blue, the temperature just above 60 degrees F., and a really good crowd gathered on the campus, right in front of Wallace Hall.

After the requisite sheriff's car and fire engine, the bagpipe band set the proper tone by being perfectly in step and perfectly in tune.

Highlanders.02 copy, originally uploaded by leucanthemum b.


They were followed by a series of carloads of campus celebrities, led by the new college president, Maury Ditzler, and his charming wife.


The women's fraternities (yes, they are fraternities, despite the grammatical absurdity) had some entertaining floats, and plenty of enthusiasm, there were several local school bands and baton-twirling schools represented proudly, and a couple of the sillier entries from the men's fraternities, such as members of Zeta Beta Tau

ZBTs in Homecoming Parade, originally uploaded by leucanthemum b.


and the Sig Eps with their Kazoo Band to close the parade.

Kazoo Band, End of Parade, originally uploaded by leucanthemum b.


But before the end of the parade, I was pleased to note that the Monmouth Scots Marching Band were also in step, and they melded perfectly with the vivid autumn colors lining the end of the route.

Scots Marching Band, originally uploaded by leucanthemum b.



In general, the air was alight with laughter and fun, and I was glad I hadn't missed it. I loaded up my camera with more than 60 pix, so this year's parade will be preserved even after my memory is shot from all the celebration. Now, if only the football team will win...

No comments: