Monday, January 24, 2022

I Offer You My Greetings!

 Greeting cards, that is. Wedged among the postcards and other stray ephemera, today, I came across a stack of Valentines and birthday* cards, some of which weren't in any condition to even try saving, but I scanned & tweaked a few of the best ones, for the heck of it. These three cards all had dates written on them (I'm operating under the assumption that those dates were written by an adult recipient at the time they were received, but I can not be certain of anything other than that the dates were not printed by the card company), which may offer us a clue as to their vintage.

And here they are, for you to do with as you please. Copy, share, whatevvs… click on any image to embiggen it, and maybe find you're having fun.

The socks and the red part of the stove are cloth peeking through cut-out sections

This pair of pages is a quarter-fold sheet with cut-out sections on the front page, behind which is glued a strip of thin red knitted fabric. Unfolded, it's too large to fit on my scanner bed, so it's one of the few I scanned in two parts.

No holes cut, just a bun-warmer

And then there's the terminally cute…

it's embossed, too. 

kitty birthday card (also a quarter-fold too large for the scanner bed), which had very faint writing on the back. When I worked it up in P'shop, I had to decide whether to keep the original message, (making it largely unusable for anybody who wants to copy it for any reason) or clean it up and save the message elsewhere. I opted for the latter, so




the image below is the extremely enhanced back of the card (FTR, the lower left quadrant). If you want to try to read past the "Dear Henrietta," and let me know what my poor, allergy-bleared eyes couldn't make out, I'd love to hear from you.





And equally cute, this fold-out Valentine:




Because kitten.







The pencil scrawl claims it's from 1938. Seems possible.


*If today is your birthday, consider this page your present from me. I'm thoughtful that way. 

No comments: