Saturday, January 19, 2008

Why does Hillary need Bill to rescue her?

We mocked and ridiculed John Edwards for hiding behind his wife's skirts a year or two ago when there was that media squabble with Ann Coulter... now, why, again, are we not mocking Hillary for hiding behind Bill, in the battle against Obama?

It seems to me, if she can't answer the war cry on her won, if she has to depend upon Darling Hubby to stand up for her in the campaign, she isn't ready for the bigger job of becoming Leader of the Free World.

I didn't think she deserved to be laughed at for crying, a couple of weeks ago; I doubted the cause of her tears, but not that she had the right to have them. But I do doubt her ability to stand up to ersatz allies and outright foes, so long as she uses Bill as a shield. The potential president's spouse should be second in the headlines -- or even third or fourth. When was the last time we heard anything but "vote for my husband" kinds of speeches from Michelle Obama, Jeri Thompson, Ann Romney, etc.? Encouraging one's spouse to become an attack dog seems, to me, to be a sign of a very weak candidate.

No comments: