Thursday, October 11, 2007

This week is Illinois Arts Week

This is Illinois Arts Week. It started on Sunday, and ends this coming Saturday at whatever time we go to sleep.

I just learned of this, today, while reading about some of the goings-on in Galesburg. I realize that a large part of the reason Monmouth isn't in on this stuff hugely is because our arts community just suffered a sudden, shocking loss, but I can't help but wonder how I missed it.

I, who used to live by the paintbrush, did not know that there was a state-tax-dollars-supported week, and a Federally-promoted month of art. Further, I didn't have a clue that this had been going on in my home state since I was finishing high school!


I should be ashamed.

But I've marked it in my calendar for next year, and I'll be discussing with the new director of the Buchanan Center for the Arts, pursuing ambitions for next year's events. We can't let Galesburg get the upper hand in the arts, darn them! ;-)


And now, to atone for my sin, I include a fine example of Illinois art, from my postcard collection, including the description from its back:
Postcard:  Abingdon's "Big Daddy" TotemPole
"Big Daddy," the tallest totem pole east of the Rockies, stands on North Main Street in Abingdon, Ill. Designed and hand-carved by Steve Greenquist, it has a 17' wingspan on the upper wings. Its 10 carved figures reflect Abingdon's history.

No comments: