Friday, January 17, 2020

Earworm of the Day: 12th Street Rag



I know you know this little ditty. It's probably been used in some cartoon or manic comedy scene you've watched, you've heard it in commercials, ad infinitum. Certainly I heard it enough to have it come burbling between my ears countless times.  Never, though, did the legend of its origins make its way to me, until now.

Whether the tale is true or not, I must admit to being greatly amused.

Also, the composer's life story, such as it is, made me smile. It's so greatly filled with holes as to be made of nothing but fairy dust, but those fairies must have had some fun, since the tales came from an apparent rival in the music industry. Also, since the composer was a Texan.

That Texas origin, in a way, makes hearing 12th Street Rag being played on an electric guitar, by a real master picker of said instrument (and a few other instruments, as well), seem somehow apt.

Enjoy trying to get this out of your head, if you're anywhere near people, today.

You're welcome.



No comments: