Sunday, October 13, 2019

Earworm of the Day: I Hate Men



I went with a friend to see the Met Live in HD broadcast of Turandot, because I love a good fairy tale, and this one was on the magical classic Zeffirelli-designed production. The funny thing is, although the Puccini music is memorable enough that you'd expect me to walk out at least humming the strains of "Nessun Dorma", but I'm apparently not that kind of girl. I had been thinking there was strong comparison between Turandot and Kate, from the Taming of the Shrew (in which, while in college, I'd performed a bit part and frustrated the heck out of the poor young woman who'd had to style my short, uncooperative hair nightly). If Puccini had had another half hour of music in him before he'd died, I wonder if he might have come around to the same conclusion Shakespeare and Cole Porter had, about the relationship between the brassy young man and the man-hating beauty... Oh, wait. His heirs' choice for finishing it pretty much did.

No comments: