Thursday, June 14, 2012

Today's ear worm: prohibition edition

For the past few days (all right, maybe a little longer), since NYC's debate with their mayor about banning Big Gulps and the subsequent addition of jumbo popcorn and other such treats for the middle class, I've been wondering how long it would take for the city's merchants to go around the city restrictions and start selling again, on the black market.

Naturally, when one thinks of black market beverages, one goes back to the Roaring Twenties, when barring access to booze meant big business for criminals... and now, we have the potential for gangsters running the sody pop biz.  This, naturally, leads the mind to the best kids' movie about the violence of the Prohibition era: it leads us to Bugsy Malone.

Now, every time I take a drink from a 24-ounce bottle of my favorite carbonated drink, I'll hear Paul Williams' voice singing "Fat Sam's Grand Slam Speakeasy."  And, being the sort of person I am, I am eager to help you to the same set of circumstances.  Therefore, here  you are:



And a rollicking number it is, too.

You are very welcome.

No comments: