Thursday, March 03, 2011

Postcards: Jubilee!

So, as most people who know me have recognized, I have a bit of an obsession with open communication, in the form of postycardzez...

A month or so ago, at auction, I picked up a beer flat filled with cards, a few with postmarks most of which were between 1908 and 1917. This set of four lacked postmarks. They lack popular "collectibility", too, because there is no graphic element to them -- no photo, no flowers, no cute illustration, no bought-and-paid-for message. Still, I couldn't resist putting them in my collection, just because. After all, how often do you come across an announcement card for a birthday with hundreds of hand-written repeats of the same three-word message?

In fact, on the address side of these cards, the writer scrawled the count:
"377 times"
"218 times"
"677"
"640 times"
detail from second image

It's "Hexter's Golden Jubilee"!

(And it brings forth fond memories of naughty schoolchildren assigned the disciplinary "I will not [insert offense here] in school again." Write that in your notebook a few hundred times, and have it back to me by tomorrow at the beginning of class.)

No comments: