Saturday, December 06, 2008

Sniffle sniffle HONK glarg

Okay, so now I remember why I so very much liked having holidays to myself. I love my family (natural and extended), but every virus which ever makes the circuit of this globe will, by contact with vertically-challenged, experientally-challenged persons involved in preliminary academia, have its way with me. It will usually seize the opportunity to ride into my life via a joyful hug at holidays.

I like to refer to this as "Merry in haste, repent at leisure."

So, now that the incubation period has elapsed after Thanksgiving weekend, I'm going through boxes of paper hankersniffs the way I used to go through sketch paper. My budget is not really prepared for this. On the plus side, Mom has graciously provided me with a pharmacopeia, everything from guaifenesin to phenylephrine and Vaporub in between (!), so I sleep well at night. When the cats don't use me as a springboard for their antics.

Naturally, this comes at a time when I have so many deadlines, my head is already spinning, so it doesn't need congestion to kick it up a notch. I had to miss seeing & getting photos of the Living Windows Christmas Walk, which I had greatly anticipated until about two hours before it was to begin, and my little fever spiked. The positive aspect to that is, with this cough, hack, sniffle sneeze, people are a little more reluctant to come visit me during work hours, so I have more time uninterrupted in which to work. The negative is, my concentration is -- hey, look at that squirrel! -- um. Where was I?

Thinking is hard, when your brain is leaking.

2 comments:

Joan of Argghh! said...

Hankersniffs.

That's nifty coinage. Gonna steal it!

Get well.

:o)

leucanthemum b said...

I wish I could claim it as my own -- it's been used by our family for three generations, & nobody seems to know where we picked it up (kinda like some virus or other).


Thanks for the well-wishes.