Tuesday, March 04, 2008

just prop me up in a corner somewhere

If you haven't already been hit with a bug, this winter, I suggest you hie yourself down to the local health department and see if you can get yourself a flu shot.

My friend exSailorette and I were both hit simultaneously last week with this latest incarnation of evil. According to what she told me on the phone, she -- like me -- is not terribly inclined to drag sorry carcass out of bed, due to the fever she has (she capped 103ºF). Unfortunately, we have animal obligations, or there'd be a whole lot more straightforward sleeping going on in Western Illinois.

I couldn't remember where I last stashed my thermomometer ;-) so I can't tell you how high my fever ran, but I can say, fighting the sweats and chills punctuated by prolonged coughing spells had interrupted my rest for a few too many nights.

The Bat tells me I look better this morning that I have since last week sometime, and I confess that having 12 straight hours of uninterrupted sleep may have made a difference. Still, with all the coughing I'm still doing, it's even hard, sometimes, to find strength to lift my hands up toward the keypad. It's been very tempting to just go back to bed and stay until spring officially arrives.

One thing I can say, though: last night, guaifenesin and dextromethorphan became my best friends. I slept better than I had in months -- perhaps even years. Still, I will not miss the meds when I recover from this wretched bug.

No comments: