Thursday, January 24, 2008

Believe me or your lying, frost-sealed eyes?

Frosting On The Window Pane
So, this morning when I got out of bed, I was greeted by frost on my windowpanes, as usual. It is, after all, January in west-central Illinois. Not only was there frost on the window, though, there was this frost on the strike plate to my front door

Mind you, that's an interior shot, and the exterior is protected by a storm door. Those little spots of white near the center of the shot were hardened clumps of effing cold. It was (according to the television station only 50 miles away) subzero... at the time I was putting on my coat to go out and start the car, the weatherman said it was minus 15, with wind chills dragging it down to minus 35 or so. They had issued this warning on their website in the wee hours: Bitter cold temperatures create dangerous conditions.

Today's local rag, however, tells us a different story (from the print edition):




I'll believe it when I can pry my frosted eyelids apart and see it for myself.

No comments: