Tuesday, September 18, 2007

IL Constitutional Convention proposed

I heard it mentioned for the first time last night when I was drifting off to sleep watching the local news... for the life of me, I can't recall the context, other than that one prominent Democrats is in support of it (but for why I know not).

Naturally, hearing that one of this could occur in the near future, I decided to look it up. There isn't much info on it, right now. In fact, I could only find one site which had devoted any bandwidth to it at all, and the "con-con" is its raison d'etre, it seems.

All in all, though, seeing as how our levels of satisfaction with our state government have hit a low not seen in my lifetime (which puts it right about at the founding of the state, I think), I'm wondering if pressing for a change in the constitution might not be a bad thing. After all, according to this illinoisconcon site, one of the biggest changes would be an end to the frustrating jerrymandered arrangements which put our district squarely in the pocket of the RockIslandMolineMilan union pockets, and we end up having very little say.

Also proposed is a term limit amendment, and that suits me fine. It wouldn't be bad, though, to draft it so that, if (by some miracle) we got a representative we genuinely trusted and who did a world of good for Forgottonia, we could keep re-electing him by an overriding majority vote (say, a two-thirds-plus one vote -- or some such -- majority in the primaries).

It seems to me we changed our state Constitution when I was in grade school (was it 1970?). Do we really need to keep rewriting it every thirty-some years? Granted, the likelihood is, we won't change anything substantial... so the question arises: who will pay for the convention? Seems to me, it's a state taxpayer-funded event, and it didn't clear out corruption last time, so what makes them think that a state-funded event to clean the state will work in this new century... which leads me tho believe even the idea of a "con-con" results in it being a plain con (not scam. just negative. although...).

Still, the idea has appeal. D'you think we could use it to kick all the bums out?

No comments: