Thursday, June 14, 2007

A very big day approaches

For the next week and a half, I'll probably be a little busier than usual away from the computer. I'm helping set up the celebration for my parents' 50th wedding anniversary. I've designed, printed, addressed and sent the invitations, worked with Mom on setting up location, menu, and further arrangements, and now we're down to the wire. I have to rent a big marquee (yes, it's true and apt, our family will gather under the Big Top) and a few big fans to keep the guests from succumbing to the forecast heat and humidity (local meteorologist says "partly cloudy, 94ยบ F.").

Mom & I just got back from the caterer's office, where we went over the details of the menu (it's going to be a picnic! Whee!) with an actual, nearly-final head count. We still haven't heard from a couple of the folks we sent the invites to, but then, we are talking about trusting the US Postal Service with time-sensitive materials....

I've never been involved in planning anything bigger than supper for a dozen, in which I did the cooking and somebody else did the dishes. This is just a tad overwhelming. So much to think about -- even when you have friends and family pitching in big time, it's still a scary, busy, and horrifyingly mind-numbing task.

Now I know why I didn't ever throw me a wedding!

No comments: