Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Gratuitous postcard: Pithy facts of 1890

Postcard: Croquet

I bought a book at auction a few weeks ago (what a shocker, I know, that I should have done so rare a thing!) which front cover reads as follows:
Edition of 1890.
A Million Facts.
C
ONKLIN'S
HANDY MANUAL
of
USEFUL INFORMATION
and
ATLAS OF THE WORLD
50 full page maps

For the past week, I've been enjoying skimming over the fragile pages (I'd scan a few, but then I'd have no book left), and decided I'd do a little comparative study, since a large portion of what is in here is taken from census, so can be compared to today's facts...

For example:
  • In 1890 the United States had 1,300 daily newspapers, "with an aggregate circulation of 4,800,000." In Y2K, the US had 1,480 daily publications, with circulation reaching 55,772,847.
  • In 1890, violent deaths per 1,000: "forty-one are violent in the United States, and sixteen throughout Europe. The lowest number is seven, in Russia, and the greatest European is thirty-eight in Switzerland." I'm not sure how that works out to "sixteen in Europe", but then, I'm no statistician. I can't make numbers dance a jig and win a triathlon. At any rate, here's how the numbers seem to stack up currently.
  • The total number of immigrants to the United States, from 1821 to the close of 1883 was 12,337,100. The total number of immigrants to the United States in the year 2000 was 31,100,000.

Scary.

No comments: