Tuesday, January 16, 2007

A terrible beauty is born

Crisp Morning

This morning, the sun crept out among the crystalline branches and along the ice-enameled power lines long before it rose above rooftops.

As I mentioned yesterday, our town was not among the worst hit, but as of sunrise today, there were still, according to the local radio news, many houses near Monmouth, Galesburg, and Alexis without power. The temperature is in the single digits Fahrenheit, with a wind chill factor I would not want to guess. It is merely breezy, and only damned cold. The harsher expletive descriptions of chill don't come out until the hairs in the nostrils freeze -- at or below 0ºF. It is the deeper chill which will warrant language to make mothers scowl.

Still, I am glad I can remain indoors, listening to a dog snore.


Update, 4 pm: I took a few minutes away from my work to walk the dog and shoot a few pics of my folks' yard:

Mundane Glory

Sparkle-Plenty

Crystal Garden

Glassy Tangle

Now it's Jeopardy! time, and then back to work.

1 comment:

EclectEcon said...

The photo of the fence and the bottom one, catching the sun so well, are spectacular!