Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Fox thriller addict signs in

I confess, I can't watch Fox tv's thrillers before bedtime. I tape "24" and "Prison Break", then watch them the following morning, as I'm fussing with the cats and doing my knee-flexing exercises and such. Discussing "24" I will leave to the professionals.

I couldn't help noticing that, among other things, "Prison Break" managed to tip its hat to Dominic Purcell's history, giving last night's episode the title of "John Doe". Maybe it was unintentional, maybe not. Still, I really had enjoyed Purcell's 2002 series, and I'm enjoying the new one he's in. Both had plenty of plot twists -- although, I think today's series takes more gleeful swings off its original pathway, and isn't at all science-fiction-y (more simple paranoid conspiracy theory. No. Wait. That is science fiction, then, isn't it?).

Do you suppose it was merely accidental that the villain of the series, last season, who murdered her way into the Oval Office, was a Hillary Clinton lookalike? And, now that the actress who portrayed "Madam President" is playing some annoying character in the new-ish nighttime soap, "Brothers and Sisters," over at ABC, will the replacement performer have that same quality of harpiness?

Hmmm.

And, I'm glad to see that Willliam Fichtner's character, Agent Mahone, is still walking. He's a really useful loose cannon to have in the middle of everything. To my mind, he's scarier than T-Bag.

I could be developing a crush on the writers of this show.

No comments: