Sunday, November 05, 2006

One reason I like going to Sunday Auctions in town

Today's auction was long, with a lot of uninteresting (to me) dishes and dolls and Christmas collectibles. I must emphasize "long". The auctioneer, Jerry, was getting frazzled after six hours with neither food nor restroom break, let alone a chance to prop himself up and count a few ticks of the clock. The sale was to run another hour and a half. Much of what was sold today was single-piece Pfaltzgraff dishes... along came a soup tureen, which Jerry's slip of the tongue labeled a "soup latrine".

Only two people caught the error -- Mom and me. Mom was working as clerk, and couldn't write anything on the tickets for nearly a minute due to her giggling... I, on the other hand, was forced to ask one simple question:

"Is that where they get pea soup?"

No comments: