Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Hunt to stop hunger

My local paper ran a slightly edited version of this press release today, for the Illinois Sportsmen Against Hunger. What it boils down to is this: if you hunt purely for sport, the folks who are seriously short on funds for food could really use what you bag. The IL Department of Natural Resources has, for the past few years, held a drive to collect deer burgers for the food banks and other charities within the state. If you donate a whole deer, the state will offer a $50 donation for processing it.

There's more, at the link, including contact info and the like.

Honestly, I've never much cared for venison, but I wouldn't look a gift deer in the mouth, this winter. Not that I'm personally begging for your catch, or anything.

I'm just sayin'.



(And I have to admit, this is more front-page-worthy than the article about a WWII veteran who plans to see a movie. Much as I respect the servicemen who survived the Pacific Campaign, I think the news would have been more appropriate if he'd just been to the film and was giving it a review of some sort. But that's my paper for ya.)

No comments: