Sunday, June 04, 2006

World cup whirl

Some of my favorites are blogging the impending World Cup. I can't say I have any useful opinion, myself, as to who will win, who should win, and in what manner. I'm a fan of the scenery. I just like to watch bunches of healthy, vigorous young men running around in shorts.

Still, I can pretty much guarantee that the fans in the stadiums (stadia?) will all be freaking out, regardless of team performances. For "good beer," even in the German venues (Berlin & Munich), they'll be serving Anheuser-Busch. (That's a great Germanic name for stinky sody-pop.) And, for food, McDonald's is the official food vendor. So, we send our best "football" players, but then let our mass-produced, flavorless glop serve as our representative food & drink.

(I know this isn't exactly news for some of y'all, but then, it's been a peculiar Spring for some of us.)

I suppose it could be worse. They could have managed to get the makers of Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill wine to sponsor the French-arena games. Hey, now there's an idea...

No comments: