Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Jail threatened over Islam insults

Thnis just in:
"MALAYSIA'S de facto law minister has threatened to jail or fine non-Muslims who insult Islam, amid concern over recent articles perceived as attacking the religion.
Mohamad Nazri Abdul Aziz said the country's sedition act could be used on non-Muslims who make comments construed as belittling Islam.

'We will not think twice about using this law against anybody who incites,' Mohamad Nazri, a minister in the prime minister's department, was quoted as saying in the Star newspaper today.

The minister said he was concerned over recent articles written about Islam by non-Muslims, and warned there was a limit to what could be said in the Muslim-majority country.

'I want to remind non-Muslims to refrain from making statements on something they do not understand,' he said."


I'm beginning to be truly thankful I didn't marry and move to M'sia. Much as I love the man, still, there is no way I have ever been able to keep my trap shut, especially when it comes to the issue of basic human rights.

This regrowth of fundamentalism over there is seriously starting to get me worried. There seems to be a marked movement to draw up sides in anticipation of something ugly. I wonder if I should ask Mr. Somebody if he will move himself and his family to the middle of the USA? Hmmm.


HT: lgf

No comments: