Monday, May 09, 2005

my big brother points out Big Brother

My very imposing older brother brought this CNET News article to my attention. It's FAQ about the Real ID and how it will affect you.

While I like the idea of a single standard for photo IDs -- especially drivers' licences -- from one state to the next, this proposal looks to put just a little too much power into the hands of the Department of Homeland Security. Yeah, we need to feel secure, but how secure can we feel when this giant bureaucracy has put personal data on a magnetic strip, and when the court says cops can demand ID from law-abiding citizens for no given reason?

I'm no believer in conspiracy theories, but I do know that ya don't put temptation before people if ya don't want 'em to bite. And misuse of power is a HUGE temptation -- especially among the moral relativists.

No comments: